Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Pink clover is one among my favorite herbs to have on hand. In case you exit into your yard within the spring and summer season, you’re prone to see it (relying on the place you reside).
Like many “weeds” around us, crimson clover has many well being advantages. I exploit it in teas, in cooking, and topically for pores and skin irritation.
Right here’s why crimson clover is one among my favourite pure cures:
A Frequent Weed That’s A lot Extra
Pink clover (Trifolium pratense) is a plant native to Europe and Asia however has been naturalized to develop in North America too. It’s additionally recognized by frequent names resembling Beebread, Cow Clover, and Meadow Clover.
Pink clover is a member of the legume household. The crimson flowers are dried and used medicinally for a lot of conventional makes use of together with:
- most cancers
- whooping cough
- respiratory issues
- pores and skin inflammations, resembling psoriasis and eczema
- menopause signs
- osteoporosis and bone loss (used to enhance bone mineral density)
- cardiovascular well being (together with supporting blood stream, blood stress, wholesome levels of cholesterol, and avoiding blood clots)
Whereas not all of those makes use of have been backed by science (but!) many herbalists strongly imagine that crimson clover is useful for these points.
Pink Clover Well being Advantages
There isn’t numerous definitive analysis on crimson clover’s conventional natural makes use of, however here’s what we do find out about the advantages of crimson clover.
Incorporates Vital Vitamins
Pink clover could be very excessive in calcium and likewise incorporates chromium, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, and vitamin C. Moreover, crimson clover incorporates numerous isoflavones (a phytoestrogen), which might act like estrogen within the physique. This may be useful for people who find themselves low in estrogen.
Pink clover additionally has sturdy antioxidant properties, based on a 2016 examine. This makes crimson clover an awesome total herb to help the physique.
Helps Cardiovascular Well being
Pink clover has been used historically for its cardiovascular advantages, although the science is a bit unclear. A 2006 assessment discovered no advantage of crimson clover on cardiovascular well being.
Nonetheless, a examine that got here out just a few months after this assessment discovered that crimson clover does appear to have a constructive impact on blood lipid ranges (excessive ldl cholesterol) and bone mineral density.
In one other examine, crimson clover considerably diminished C-reactive protein, triglyceride, complete ldl cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol (“dangerous” ldl cholesterol”). Pink clover additionally appeared to extend HDL-cholesterol (“good” ldl cholesterol).
We want extra analysis to make sure of crimson clover’s capacity to help cardiovascular well being, however as a result of it’s been used historically used for generations with out dangerous unwanted effects, many really feel assured in making an attempt it.
Helps with Menopause Signs
Certainly one of crimson clover’s hottest makes use of is for symptoms of menopause like scorching flashes. As a consequence of its phytoestrogen content material, it’s considered useful for low estrogen associated points.
Pink clover can lower the frequency of scorching flashes and assist with vaginal dryness related to menopause based on a 2016 systematic assessment. Extra analysis is required although, to search out out if it helps with different menopause signs such as sexual function or sleeping points.
Most cancers Help
Pink clover could also be useful as an addition to anticancer medicines. A 2019 assessment discovered that crimson clover had important anti-tumor properties and that it acted synergistically with anti-cancer medicines.
Moreover, in a 2009, researchers found that utilizing crimson clover diminished prostate-specific antigen (PSA). PSA is a protein discovered at elevated ranges in prostate most cancers sufferers.
Whereas it’s usually thought greatest to keep away from any estrogenic herbs if one is coping with breast most cancers, some analysis reveals that crimson clover will not be an issue. A 2011 examine discovered that crimson clover, when used together with estradiol, acted as an estrogen antagonist (blocker). Extra info is required, however this analysis means that crimson clover could assist combat breast most cancers in addition to different cancers.
Pores and skin Help
Certainly one of my favourite methods to make use of crimson clover is to assist help wholesome pores and skin and scalp. I personally use it this fashion on rashes or different pores and skin points. In a 2011 examine, researchers confirmed that crimson clover can enhance pores and skin and scalp.
Conventional Utilization of Pink Clover
Pink clover can be utilized in a variety of methods, however the best way you select to make use of it relies on what you’re utilizing it for. Listed here are some pointers for utilizing crimson clover:
- Tea – Pink clover tea could be ingested to assist with cough, menopausal signs, and to get the nutritive advantages of this herb (see the model I exploit under).
- Tincture – Tinctures are greatest while you desire a extra concentrated product, resembling assist with menopausal signs or cardiovascular help. Teas can work for this stuff as effectively however tinctures get extra of the medicinal properties into the physique rapidly.
- Poultice – A poultice of crimson clover can be utilized on pores and skin irritations like rashes, eczema, and different delicate pores and skin points. I like to combine crimson clover with calendula for its soothing properties.
- Capsules – you need to use crimson clover capsules as effectively, which will get the complete herb into the physique. This helps you get the nutritive advantages in addition to the medicinal advantages should you can’t tolerate tinctures.
Foraging for Pink Clover
Search for the distinctive purple crimson clover blooms in spring. I’m not a foraging professional by any means, however this site provides some useful steerage.
What I Use
Is Pink Clover Protected? Aspect Results
Pink clover is mostly thought of secure and there aren’t any severe unwanted effects. However as at all times it is best to ask a healthcare skilled earlier than utilizing this or any herb.
As a result of crimson clover incorporates phytoestrogens, it’s not beneficial to be used by pregnant girls, or these fighting estrogen dominance circumstances. It’s additionally not beneficial to be used in these with breast, ovarian, or endometrial most cancers (although there was the examine talked about above that contests this perspective).
Pink clover can also be not to be used:
- in these with liver issues.
- with contraceptive contraception tablets.
- in these on blood thinners (crimson clover could also be an anticoagulant).
At all times examine together with your physician earlier than beginning a brand new natural routine.
This text was medically reviewed by Dr. Scott Soerries, MD, Household Doctor and Medical Director of SteadyMD. As at all times, this isn’t private medical recommendation and we suggest that you just speak together with your physician.
Have you ever ever used crimson clover dietary supplements? What did you utilize it for?
- Esmaeili, A. Ok. et al (2015). Antioxidant Activity and Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Content of Various Solvent Extracts fromIn VivoandIn VitroGrownTrifolium pratenseL. (Pink Clover). BioMed Analysis Worldwide, 2015, 1–11. doi: 10.1155/2015/643285
- Sales space, N. L. et al (2006). Clinical studies of red clover (Trifolium pratense) dietary supplements in menopause: a literature review. Menopause, 13(2), 251–264. doi: 10.1097/01.gme.0000198297.40269.f7
- Geller, S. E., & Studee, L. (2006). Soy and red clover for mid-life and aging. Climacteric, 9(4), 245–263. doi: 10.1080/13697130600736934
- Asgary, S. et al (2007). Effects of dietary red clover on blood factors and cardiovascular fatty streak formation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Phytotherapy Analysis, 21(8), 768–770. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2161
- Ghazanfarpour, M. et al (2015). Red clover for treatment of hot flashes and menopausal symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 36(3), 301–311. doi: 10.3109/01443615.2015.1049249
- Ong, S. Ok. L. et al (2019). Focus on Formononetin: Anticancer Potential and Molecular Targets. Cancers, 11(5), 611. doi: 10.3390/cancers11050611
- Mannella, P. et al (2011). Effects of red clover extracts on breast cancer cell migration and invasion. Gynecological Endocrinology, 28(1), 29–33. doi: 10.3109/09513590.2011.579660
- Lipovac, M. et al (2011). Effect of Red Clover Isoflavones over Skin, Appendages, and Mucosal Status in Postmenopausal Women. Obstetrics and Gynecology Worldwide, 2011, 1–6. doi: 10.1155/2011/949302
- Grey, N. E. et al (2009). Endocrine-Immune-Paracrine Interactions in Prostate Cells as Targeted by Phytomedicines. Most cancers Prevention Analysis, 2(2), 134–142. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.capr-08-0062